The Basic Reuben Sandwich

A grilled or toasted sandwich made with either pastrami or corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and either Russian dressing or Thousand Island dressing

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bessie's


My wife and I recently took a trip to Maine. We stayed in a wonderful little cottage in Ogunquit about a 10 minute walk from the beach. As usual one of my priorities was to find a local restaurant that offered a Ruben sandwich on the menu. The restaurant that I decided to go to was called Bessie's. Its located on the corner of Shore Rd and US Rt 1. Its the "Local meet and eat place." One thing I learned right away is that on the off season in Ogunquit the restaurants close early so its a good Idea to find out what their hours of operation are and plan accordingly. Something else I found was that if you want to eat something other than seafood in a seafood town, don't expect much. The corn beef and the sauerkraut were a little dry and didn't have nearly enough Russian Dressing for my taste. I couldn't really tell if there was cheese on it ether, I think it was either really thin or small. It was a decent size although I do prefer to have enough to take half home with me for lunch the next day, but to each his own. Over all I would give the sandwich one and half stars out of five and kudos for the price $6.95, not bad. If you would like to see there menu here's a link.